I've got an educational app that sequences and runs ok on its own.
Within the sequence are a bunch of word docs, these are referenced via file association so when you click on a link within the app (the app is just a huge shockwave file) it opens up the document using the locally installed copy of word.
This works fine until you have word running already, when you then click a link, the app then tries to open it with the word thats already running but says it cannot find the file (as the file is on the Q: drive). All I can think is happening is that the word that is already running having been started by the logged on user is then using the credentials of the user running it to then open the App-V doc, this then gives the cannot find error as obviously they have no access to Q:
Any ideas or has anyone come across something similar ?
0 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments

Comments

Please log in to comment

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

Answers

0
Hey Jon,

I have the same problem.
Did you get any solution?
I hope so. can you let me know?

Regards,

Sebastian
Answered 10/30/2010 by: mazeb00
Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
2
I've had a sort of similair situation and got it fixed by accident. Not sure this is going to work for you, but give it a try:

-Start Word locally, to recreate your situation
-Start the virtual app
-Start the command prompt within the (same) virtual app (if this raises a question mark, get ACDC to do it)
-Start Word from that very same command line.
-If Word starts, try opening the document from within the Word running in your bubble.
-If that works, add another OSD to your app. Have the OSD point to Word
-Update the client with your last sequence
-Next time you starts the app in the regular way, hopefully it will "see" Word in your bubble and start it inside your bubble instead, which makes the Q: drive available to Word.


And please let me know whether it did or did not work.

Regards,
Rowan
Answered 11/02/2010 by: Rheuvel
Brown Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Thanks Rowan, I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes....
Answered 11/02/2010 by: Jon_Kidd
Orange Senior Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Bingo [:D]
It works, nice one Rowan!
Only downside is that these App-V packages are going out through SCCM and therefore each OSD gets sucked in and used as a shortcut, I need to see if i can hide the shortcut so the user never see's the Word shortcut in with the application shortcuts....
Nice one though, spent ages on that and had given up!
Answered 11/02/2010 by: Jon_Kidd
Orange Senior Belt

Please log in to comment
1
Cool that it actually works... Thank you as well for testing/confirming this [;)]

Now about the shortcut location.. That is a challenge indeed. I don't recall having an option to set a totally random shortcut path except the ones pre-defined (Start Menu, Desktop, Quicklaunch). Maybe the OSD can be crippled in such a way that is has no shortcuts and file associations, thus is not visible? Have never tried that either... The customer I tried this for didn't mind the extra Excel shortcut.
Answered 11/08/2010 by: Rheuvel
Brown Belt

Please log in to comment
0
A whole lot easier that I realised, just removed the path from the 'configure shortcuts' section in the wizard and that was all I needed to do [:)]

Thanks again.
Answered 11/08/2010 by: Jon_Kidd
Orange Senior Belt

Please log in to comment
0
So, it's possible to have a OSD without any shortcuts and file associations? I thought the wizard would never allow such a thing... [8D]
Answered 11/08/2010 by: Rheuvel
Brown Belt

Please log in to comment
0
I had a similar problem to this with another app (the 'app' was just purely browser/flash based).
It was choking when calling internet explorer and there was already an internet explorer window open (opened by the user)running a flash animation, from say a random website. Using your idea of adding the reference to internet explorer in to the package it then seemed to work fine, its currently out for UAT at present.
Here's the OSD from the internet explorer file:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<SOFTPKG GUID="33A063A7-3C81-4B1E-BAC1-27997539D366" NAME="Internet Explorer" VERSION="7.0.6002.18005">
<IMPLEMENTATION>
<CODEBASE HREF="RTSPS://%SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%:322/UCC_Heinemann_MetroElectro1PupilActivityPackage_1.0_R01_2.sft" GUID="7A66976F-6DA8-4941-9346-A1F7AEBF23EF" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" SYSGUARDFILE="EMETPAP1.001\osguard.cp" SIZE="557738162"/>
<WORKINGDIR>%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Internet Explorer</WORKINGDIR>
<VIRTUALENV TERMINATECHILDREN="FALSE">
<ENVLIST/>
</VIRTUALENV>
<VM VALUE="Win32">
<SUBSYSTEM VALUE="windows"/>
</VM>
<OS VALUE="WinVista"/>
</IMPLEMENTATION>
<DEPENDENCY>
<CLIENTVERSION VERSION="4.5.0.0"/>
</DEPENDENCY>
<PACKAGE NAME="EMETPAP1.001"/>
<ABSTRACT></ABSTRACT>
<MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST/>
<MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
<PROGIDLIST/>
<FILEEXTENSIONLIST/>
</MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
</SOFTPKG>
Answered 11/08/2010 by: Jon_Kidd
Orange Senior Belt

Please log in to comment
0
I've been a bit reluctant to actually use this for customers since I wasn't sure this was supposed to work this way. However, I've just had a chat about this with a colleague and he mentioned that Microsoft actually does the very same thing to get Outlook 2010 working in App-V. So-called proxies have to be added to the sequence. They're OSD's with no shortcuts either that take care of redirecting mailto: to the sequence for example.

So I guess it's actually safe to assume this is supposed to work the way it does, even though I'm still missing the exact technical explanation.
Answered 11/09/2010 by: Rheuvel
Brown Belt

Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity