Hi folks,

I have an application (vendor supplied MSI) that requires configuration during the first time it is run. Normally for apps like these I snapshot the changes during that first run and wrap them into a transform; reg key changes, .ini files, etc.

The application I am working with now dumps a bunch of files in a folder off of C:\Doc and Settings\<username> during the configuration. I built a transform with Admin Studio intending to add that folder to the USERPROFILE directory.

Instead of putting it where I wanted the installer decided to put the directory on the root of C:\. I played around with the transform and was able to change the directory property table and get the custom folder to install anywhere else, just not where I wanted it.


I decided to commit the cardinal sin of repackaging a vendor MSI, just to see the tables after it finished and compare them to mine, and from the looks of things they look the same.

The entry in the directory table has the Directory field set to PIVIEWER (the name of the custom folder). Parent is USERPROFILE. Default Dir is PIVIEWER.


Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!
0 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments

Comments

Please log in to comment

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

Answers

0
Sounds like you have a file instead of a HKCU registry entry as keypath for the component(s) installing files under the ProfileFolder.
Answered 11/14/2008 by: AngelD
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Actually it looks like there was no component listed at all for that folder. Not sure why Admin Studio would "leave that out" but I created a new Feature component for the folder and it all installs fine now.

Thanks for getting me on track!
Answered 11/14/2008 by: SpriteAM
Senior Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity