Ever since we upgraded to 5.3 the patching process doesn't seem to work as well. To try to trouble-shoot the problem I created a patching detect/deploy schedule for one patch and one machine. I first picked the patch to deploy by running MBSA against the target machine and then picked patch MS11-043, which MBSA says is needed. After telling the test patch schedule to "run now", it ran and indicated a reboot was necessary. After restarting the system it performed a verification and then tried deploying again, at which point it said a reboot was necessary again. I enabled debug (log files attached) and restarted the system, and now it still says reboot pending. I ran an MBSA scan on it again and it still shows that MS11-043 is missing.
Any thoughts? Does anyone else have problems deploying patches to XP/Vista/7 systems since upgrading to 5.3?
0 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments

Comments

Please log in to comment

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

Answers

0
I have had major problems with the 5.3 agent on XP machines specifically. Currently, I've downgraded our XP machines to use the previous (5.1, I think?) version of the agent and this has helped immensely.
Answered 09/07/2011 by: cleitch
Senior Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
0
I had serious patching problems as well (Win7 and XP). Patches on detect/deploy schedules wouldn't deploy, patch schedules would timeout (I set a suspend time) without actually patching anything, and patches would fill end user hard drives to capacity. The kicker was that when I would test it, sometimes things would work, so it was really hard to nail down. One of the L3's made a change via tether and that seems to have helped. Tonight is my patch night, so I'll post an update with how it went.

Casey
Answered 09/07/2011 by: cmccracken
Orange Senior Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Hi Casey,

How did it go last night then?

Thanks,

djz
Answered 09/08/2011 by: zookdj
Second Degree Blue Belt

Please log in to comment
0
I think things are pretty much back to normal. 89% install progress and 72% tasks complete (when things were broken it was below 30).

I have some errors to check, but I'm thinking they are related to replication.

Casey
Answered 09/08/2011 by: cmccracken
Orange Senior Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Thanks Casey. What should I ask for to get this fix as well?

djz
Answered 09/08/2011 by: zookdj
Second Degree Blue Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Kevin Gehrke was the L3 that made the change. You are welcome to reference my ticket (148993). The ticket was about AMP configs that were erasing themselves, but Kevin said he made a change to the patching, and it appears to have solved both issues.

Casey
Answered 09/09/2011 by: cmccracken
Orange Senior Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Interesting... we just noticed that some systems were experiencing the issue where the amp config would clear itself. Thanks for your help.
Answered 09/09/2011 by: zookdj
Second Degree Blue Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Ah ha! That ticket should help clear it up then.

Casey
Answered 09/09/2011 by: cmccracken
Orange Senior Belt

Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity