I have been trying to create a package in Dell K1000 to push Microsoft Publisher to individual systems through a managed installation.

If I deploy this directly on a system through command line with the following command:
"\\directory\FE_MS_OfficeProfessional_2003_P1\PUB11.MSI TRANSFORMS=\\directory\FE_MS_OfficeProfessional_2003_P1\Genk_Publisher.MST /qb-!"
it works fine and I can install the software.

With the software inventarized I create a managed installation with the following choices:

  • - Installation Command "configure manually"
  • - above command copied into the text field of the "Installation command"
  • - "Run command only" is selected
  • - "Don't prepend msiexec.exe" is selected

So when I go to the K1000 inventory and look up the machine I'm trying to push my package to and Force the Inventory Update I see the KInventory.exe process in my task manager. But no install happens.
Now when I de-select "Don't prepend msiexec.exe" and force the Inventory Update the Windows Installer options screen appears on my target machine.


So it seems my command is doing something. Does anyone have an idea what is going wrong?

0 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments


Please log in to comment



Do you have all the files zipped up? Try msiexec /i infront of your command. You can also add a log file which might help determine where it is having issues. The following is the command that I use for Publisher and Access 2003. Setup.exe /t 2003std.mst /l* c:\logfile.txt /noreboot /qn


Answered 04/26/2012 by: ckubaska
Fourth Degree Brown Belt

  • Thanks. The msiexec /i in front of it helped me a lot. I neglected to put it there since there is an option "Don"t prepend msiexec /i", so I assumed it would place it there by itself.
  • It's suppose to put it there when you use the "Don't prepend" but my experience is that it doesn't work more than it does so I've started doing all of them manually and adding it.
Please log in to comment

This screen pops up when the commandline given for msiexec is not correct.

Answered 04/26/2012 by: piyushnasa
Red Belt

Please log in to comment

So now i'm a few steps further in and I'm close to making it work. But now I have a strange problem.

The Office programs we install are OEM and they don't have a serial number. And when I use the command on the system itself through command line, it installs fine. But when I push it with Kace it also works, but it asks for a serial number. And I don't have one with our licences...

Answered 04/27/2012 by: Martrim
White Belt

Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity