This one has got me stumped. (Mainly concerns Excel)

I am deploying Office 2007 and have customised it using OCT.

Whilst all add ins have been installed when you go into Excel Optins and addins they are inactive.

Has anyone been able to deploy Office 2007 with the add-ins active to the user does not have to go in and activate them.

Thanks in advance.
0 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments

Comments

Please log in to comment

Community Chosen Answer

2
Part of the problem with the shift to the use of patch files is the fact that customisations - for which one would normally use a transform - are no longer possible. The traditional way to add an XL add-in as part of a deployment is to run a Custom Action which executes some VBScript. That script would use XL's Automation: don't be tempted by the brain-dead registry manipulation which some examples on the web use. It requires only a single moment's contemplation to realise why that's a bad idea. There are example scripts here.

If one uses a deployment system which requires the user to be logged in to receive applications, one could use the '<Command>' element in the configuration XML file to execute a script. Alternatively, Active Setup execution would serve equally well.
Answered 10/08/2009 by: VBScab
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

Answers

0
Wow found your script. Very nice :).

You are a legend. Highest rating for this post.
Answered 10/08/2009 by: nleikvold
Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Interesting problem.

I used to script I found

http://itninja.com/question/gnu,-freeware-and-shareware-programs-to-cloning3848&mpage=1&key=add%2Dins%2Coffice%2C2007ꭔ

The issue is it will only run for 1 add-in. If I try to use the script for another addin it says it is already installed even though it isn't. I reimage the pc and it will install the second addin fine but then wont install the first one.

Any idea why. I am ok with VBScripts but this one is way beyond me.
Answered 10/08/2009 by: nleikvold
Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
0
I suspect that's because you haven't added a new call to the 'ExcelAddIn' function with the name and path of the second add-in.

Lines 61 and 62 set the path to and name of the add-in. Line 95 then calls the 'ExcelAddIn function, passing it the variables for the path and name. So, add some code after that first call (line 103 looks like a good enough place) to set the new name and/or path, followed by a second call to 'ExcelAddIn'.
Answered 10/09/2009 by: VBScab
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Nah its something else.

What you are saying is correct BUT when starts to run the second call it looks like it is creating the excel and workbook objects fine than fails with the message Add-in is already installed then states add-in was not installed.

Probably it is not clearing a value when it is trying to create the new. Just guessing on this one.
Answered 10/12/2009 by: nleikvold
Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Something's not being trapped/handled.

Step through your script in a debugger (e.g. MS Script Editor) and check the add-in state in XL as each line executes.
Answered 10/13/2009 by: VBScab
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity