I'm having an issue with some MSI install packages that aren't logging a, "Installation completed successfully." line when advertised through SCCM, but do when run manually. This was supposedly not an issue with SMS 2003, it's only started since upgrading to SCCM. (I came on board after the upgrade.) I'm using the exact same source, and copying and pasting the same command line switches. It's more than one MSI, not any single install. An example:

msiexec.exe /i MyApp_1.4.msi REINSTALLMODE=vamus /passive /l*v c:\MyApp_1.4.log

At first I figured it must be a difference between the SCCM client running the install under the local System account versus a user account. But if I run the same install manually as System (opening up a command prompt as System and executing the install) I get the "Installation completed successfully." line.

And if I set the program to run with user rights instead of admin, it still does not log the successful message.The install finishes and there do not appear to be any issues, it runs fine. But we used to have people check for the "Installation completed successfully." line in the log as a simple check so it would be nice to figure out why it is happening.

The difference in the ends of the log files:


Property(S): ProductToBeRegistered = 1
MSI (s) (CC:7C) [13:04:00:369]: Note: 1: 1707
MSI (s) (CC:7C) [13:04:00:369]: Note: 1: 2205 2: 3: Error
MSI (s) (CC:7C) [13:04:00:369]: Note: 1: 2228 2: 3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1707
MSI (s) (CC:7C) [13:04:00:369]: Note: 1: 2205 2: 3: Error
MSI (s) (CC:7C) [13:04:00:369]: Note: 1: 2228 2: 3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1709
MSI (s) (CC:7C) [13:04:00:369]: Product: MyApp 1.4 -- Installation completed successfully.

MSI (s) (CC:7C) [13:04:00:447]: Cleaning up uninstalled install packages, if any exist
MSI (s) (CC:7C) [13:04:00:447]: MainEngineThread is returning 0
=== Logging stopped: 4/2/2009 13:04:00 ===


And missing:


Property(S): ProductToBeRegistered = 1
MSI (s) (14:C8) [14:53:43:433]: Cleaning up uninstalled install packages, if any exist
MSI (s) (14:C8) [14:53:43:433]: MainEngineThread is returning 0
=== Logging stopped: 4/2/2009 14:53:43 ===


Any ideas as to why this could be?
0 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments

Comments

Please log in to comment

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

Answers

0
you could try logging with /l*vx to see if it gives you any more useful info..
Answered 04/13/2009 by: Tone
Second Degree Blue Belt

Please log in to comment
0
I don't believe that that switch will provide any more useful information.

@OP, why does it matter? If it's that important, have your deployment process check the installed state of the product when it 'completes'. And, thinking around that, doesn't SCCM flag failed deployments?
Answered 04/14/2009 by: VBScab
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
0
ORIGINAL: VBScab
@OP, why does it matter? If it's that important, have your deployment process check the installed state of the product when it 'completes'. And, thinking around that, doesn't SCCM flag failed deployments?

The /l*vx didn't show anything more
In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter because the app is still installed successfully, and yes SCCM flags failed deployments. What it was useful for is for a tech being at a desktop and being able to see a single line in a log file saying, "Installation completed successfully." at a glance. If someone's troubleshooting at a desk they aren't in the SCCM console and at least they can see that it installed properly at one point in time. Now obviously there are other things in the same log file that convey the same message, so in some ways it's a curiosity as to why you would get two different logs from installing the same app with the same switches. And I did test running the install under the local System acct which is how SCCM would run it and still go the same difference in logging, so I know it isn't purely a permisisons or account profile issue.

In other words it matters for convenience, and curiosity, but isn't affecting functionality.
Answered 04/14/2009 by: pmallett
Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Knock up a script using the WindowsInstaller.Installer object which tests for the ProductState property of the relevant product. You could maybe have optional arguments for machine name or OU (so that the script could be run across your domain). That way, your tech boys don't have to load the log file into NotePad and 'Find' the line in question.
Answered 04/14/2009 by: VBScab
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
0
I've noticed the same thing, I think it started with the service pack for SCCM 2007 (like some other funny things), but I was troubleshooting a package (that had worked before the servicepack) so I wasn't to happy to find out this new "feature".

Lets just say that I'm not a big fan of SCCM 2007...
Answered 04/17/2009 by: Bobo
Orange Belt

Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity