Hi Gang,

I have a moderate knowledge of MSI files and how they work, Most of which i have learnt from reading these forums! I therefore hope that someone else reading this gets an answer that they were looking for one day :)

The Problem:
I am using LANDesk profile migration to migrate user profiles whilst deploying our new SOE. In general the LANDesk PF migration creates and MSI and a whole swag of cab files that it then 'reinstalls' when the SOE has been applied to the machine, and thus restoring the users Data.

Even though i have selected the migration to bail out if it comes across an error, i have a backed up profile that when restoring throws an error in the log file as follows;

DEBUG: Error 2709: The specified Component name (Filename - Audio File (Apr 07).htm_6860') not found in Component Table.

The funny thing is that it displays that error in both the capture and restore MSI log files.

SO... im wondering if there is a way that i can edit the MSI file, and somehow remove all references to the above Filename from the MSI? Will this then simply just skip that file..?

OR with this error is it better to try and add the above reference somehow to the component table, and achieve success that way?

Any help or ideas are greatly appreaciated here! There is a little bit of heat on me to restore this data! :)

Cheers Gang!

- Scott.
0 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments

Comments

Please log in to comment

Answers

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.
0

The Problem:
I am using LANDesk profile migration to migrate user profiles whilst deploying our new SOE. In general the LANDesk PF migration creates and MSI and a whole swag of cab files that it then 'reinstalls' when the SOE has been applied to the machine, and thus restoring the users Data.

Even though i have selected the migration to bail out if it comes across an error, i have a backed up profile that when restoring throws an error in the log file as follows;

DEBUG: Error 2709: The specified Component name (Filename - Audio File (Apr 07).htm_6860') not found in Component Table.

The funny thing is that it displays that error in both the capture and restore MSI log files.

SO... im wondering if there is a way that i can edit the MSI file, and somehow remove all references to the above Filename from the MSI? Will this then simply just skip that file..?

OR with this error is it better to try and add the above reference somehow to the component table, and achieve success that way?

Any help or ideas are greatly appreaciated here! There is a little bit of heat on me to restore this data! :)

Hi Scott,
From your description it appears that the MSI was created using LANDESK's automated process and that munged the component name. If this is a one-off you could manually edit the MSI file. Probably you could edit the file table an insert a valid component name in the component column (it probably doesn't matter which one as long as it's valid). If that doesn't work you could just delete the file entry altogether (keeping in mind it may be an important file - any way to tell what kind of file it's restoring?)
Let us know how it goes!
Answered 02/12/2008 by: aogilmor
Ninth Degree Black Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Hi Owen,

Thanks for your reply..

You are correct - the MSI was created by LANDesk automated profile migration process.

Luckily i managed to make a copy of the MSI whilst the tool was open (else it deletes the msi it creates) and perform a simple edit with ORCA. I simply added the file name to the component table and re-ran the MSI.

The data came back as planned! :)

*Wipes Brow* Just got away with that one! :)
Answered 02/14/2008 by: Scotty_E
Senior Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Hi All,
I am doing a minor upgrade of an application from version 3.2.86 to 3.3.43.
When I run the latest MSI (on the top of 3.2.86 release of the application) with msiexec /i <path of msi> REINSTALLMODE="VOMUS" REINSTALL="ALL" /QB! , I see an error message saying that "Error 2709 the specified component name 'component1' not found in the component table"
I have edited the latest msi to find that name of the component which is being changed from what it was in the previous MSI (3.2.86). When I rename the component in the latest MSI as that of the previous MSI it works fine. But as per the best practices we are not suppose to modify the vendor supplied MSI.
Also as far as minor upgrade is concern we shouldn’t delete/edit any existing components.I have spoken to the vendors and they are not happy to rename the error component.
Could you suggest any other ways to get around this issue?
Any help is really appreciated.


Regards,
Sumi
[font="book antiqua"]
[font="book antiqua"]
Answered 10/08/2009 by: sumitsingh1984
Second Degree Green Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Do the 2 MSIs have different ProductCodes?
Answered 10/09/2009 by: VBScab
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Hi Vbscab,
Yes,both these MSI has same product code GUID.
I don't really understand that why release 3.2.86 and 3.3.43 has to have same product code but that's how it is from vendor side.
Any suggestions will be really appreciated.........

Regards,
Sumi
Answered 10/09/2009 by: sumitsingh1984
Second Degree Green Belt

Please log in to comment
0
that's how it is from vendor sideThen the vendor is unable to read : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370037%28VS.85%29.aspx. Still.

You have no choice but to edit the MSI. Keep a back-up, just in case, and document the change.

Sometimes, vendors require a Very Big Stick. As a starting point, send them the above link. Or, do what I do: have them remote into your test machine and MAKE IT WORK. I can't tell you how many times I get the "Oh! It's not supposed to do that" response...
Answered 10/09/2009 by: VBScab
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity