Been hitting a brick wall on this one, so wondering what you guys think. I have an application I'm transforming (it's an MSI extracted from installshield setup) which I can install fine with the ISSETUPDRIVEN=1 property. It's a very small application (might even be a home grown app) with only 15 files or so...no registry entries, no custom actions, nothing fancy.

Only issue is that the application requires the comdlg32.ocx installed (which the installer didn't provide) so in my MST, I add the merge module thinking I was done with it...jokes on me. When trying to install this msi with my created MST, I'm getting:

Error 1309. Error reading from file:
c:\temp\windows\system32\redist\ms\system\comdlg32.ocx

c:\temp is my working directory at the moment. In viewing the log file, for some odd reason, the comdlg32.ocx file is showing up as "uncompressed" and thus it searches for it in the above path and I keep wracking my brain to figure out why it thinks this file is uncompressed...

Here's the piece of the log:

MSI (s) (50:94) [10:55:33:953]: Executing op: FileCopy(SourceName=comdlg32.ocx,SourceCabKey=Global_Controls_Comdlg32ocx_f0.576D64B0_7413_11D2_B954_006097C4DE24,DestName=comdlg32.ocx,Attributes=0,FileSize=152848,PerTick=32768,,VerifyMedia=1,,,,,CheckCRC=0,Version=6.1.97.82,Language=1033,InstallMode=58982400,,,,,,,)
MSI (s) (50:94) [10:55:33:953]: File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\comdlg32.ocx; To be installed; Won't patch; No existing file
MSI (s) (50:94) [10:55:33:953]: Source for file 'comdlg32.ocx' is uncompressed, at 'C:\temp\Windows\System32\Redist\MS\System\'.
MSI (s) (50:94) [10:55:33:968]: Note: 1: 2318 2: C:\WINDOWS\system32\comdlg32.ocx
MSI (s) (50:94) [10:55:33:968]: Note: 1: 1309 2: 3 3: C:\temp\Windows\System32\Redist\MS\System\comdlg32.ocx
MSI (s) (50:94) [10:55:33:968]: Note: 1: 2318 2: C:\WINDOWS\system32\comdlg32.ocx
MSI (s) (50:94) [10:55:33:968]: Note: 1: 1309 2: 3 3: C:\temp\Windows\System32\Redist\MS\System\comdlg32.ocx
MSI (s) (50:94) [10:55:33:968]: Note: 1: 2318 2: C:\WINDOWS\system32\comdlg32.ocx
MSI (s) (50:94) [10:55:33:968]: Note: 1: 1309 2: 3 3: C:\temp\Windows\System32\Redist\MS\System\comdlg32.ocx
MSI (s) (50:94) [10:55:33:968]: Note: 1: 2318 2: C:\WINDOWS\system32\comdlg32.ocx
MSI (s) (50:94) [10:55:33:968]: Note: 1: 1309 2: 3 3: C:\temp\Windows\System32\Redist\MS\System\comdlg32.ocx
MSI (s) (50:94) [10:55:33:968]: Note: 1: 2318 2: C:\WINDOWS\system32\comdlg32.ocx
MSI (s) (50:94) [10:55:33:968]: Note: 1: 1309 2: 3 3: C:\temp\Windows\System32\Redist\MS\System\comdlg32.ocx
MSI (s) (50:94) [10:55:33:968]: Note: 1: 2318 2: C:\WINDOWS\system32\comdlg32.ocx
MSI (s) (50:94) [10:55:33:968]: Note: 1: 1309 2: 3 3: C:\temp\Windows\System32\Redist\MS\System\comdlg32.ocx
MSI (c) (28:14) [10:55:33:968]: Font created. Charset: Req=0, Ret=0, Font: Req=MS Shell Dlg, Ret=MS Shell Dlg
MSI (s) (50:94) [10:55:36:578]: Product: APYWIN 2.1 -- Error 1309.Error reading from file: C:\temp\Windows\System32\Redist\MS\System\comdlg32.ocx. System error 3. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.


I tried this same setup by creating a generic MSI and applying a transform to it including this same merge module and it worked fine (it shows up as "compressed")...an ideas?

Thx,
J

Edit: If I was to modify the MSI directly (yep, I know) it works fine with the updated merge module. Also, I can very easily repackage this thing since it's tiny but I would really like to figure out what's going on. Lastly, as previously stated, the MSI was extracted from installshield setup.exe but the MST I'm creating is through Wise Package Studio....which I don't recall ever having this kind of problem before, but you never know!
0 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments

Comments

Please log in to comment

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

Answers

0
If I was to modify the MSI directly (yep, I know) What exactly did you modify, J? Adding the MM?

I think this is the thorny issue of MSTs not being able to carry internal CABs, but don't quote me. You may find that your other MSI/MST_with_MM worked because they used either external uncompressed files or external CABs.
Answered 05/28/2009 by: VBScab
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
0
ORIGINAL: VBScab

If I was to modify the MSI directly (yep, I know) What exactly did you modify, J? Adding the MM?


Yeah, if I open the vendor MSI and simply set the ISSETUPDRIVEN=1 property and add the MM, installs and works fine.

If I, instead, create an MST with the same change above, flunks out when trying to install that MM I tested the same setup by using a generic MSI/MST, and it worked fine. On the generic test, it didn't create an external cab either...problem appears to be specific to just this MSI and considering the MM was added to both, the trouble MSI/MST and generic MSI/MST the same way...I don't see why one would fail and not the other...

On the trouble MSI, it creates m2, m3, and m4 under the Cabs table and everything seems fine in the File table and the Media table...it just doesn't work, lol...gotta love this.

Thx
Answered 05/28/2009 by: jcarri06
Senior Purple Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Well, threw the towel and ended up just doing an admin installation and expanded the merge module (thx to a team mate idea!!!) to the admin install and got it going.

Guess I'll stay puzzled on this one for now...
Answered 05/28/2009 by: jcarri06
Senior Purple Belt

Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity