I am facing a wierd problem (atleast to me) when i do a Major Upgrade, the upgrade doesn't actually installs the upgraded files, but uninstalls the earlier version. I have taken care of Product code and Upgrade codes.

When i place 'RemoveExistingProducts' betweeen InstallValidate and InstallInitialize, major upgrade is not actually updating latest files. So, when i launch the application after upgrade, it is not launching for the first time. But launches in the second time.

When i place 'RemoveExistingProducts' between InstallExecute and InstallFinalize, major upgrade is not installing upgraded files. so, after upgrade the system is not having application files. When i launch the application from start menu it actually does a repair, places the files and the application is launched.

I am not sure what is the problem. Can anyone help me out in this?

Thanks.
0 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments

Comments

Please log in to comment

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

Answers

0
Hi,

The RemoveExistingProducts action to be run be scheduled to run in three ways
  1. InstallValidate action and the InstallInitialize action where the installer would remove the previous application before installing the new one.
  2. After InstallInitialse.
  3. [align=left]After InstallFinalise action. Microsoft recommends this method as the most effeicient method while working with upgrades.[/align]
[left]So I suggest you method 3 along with populating the Upgrade table correctly. And as usual the analyzing the verbose logs will help a lot as well.
[/left]
Answered 05/28/2009 by: India_Repackaging
Blue Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Hi,

Thank for the suggestion.
I have already tried placing RemoveExistingProducts in all the three places, but its of no help. Upgrading is behaving the same as i have mentioned in all the three.

I have analyzed Log files too but doesnt seem to contain any wierd entries.

Thanks.
Answered 05/28/2009 by: getIT
Orange Senior Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Hi,

Just trying to confirm if you have used the 3rd method where you place the RemoveExisitingProducts action after InstallFinalize. Since its a major upgrade, I presume the product code is changed and the new product uninstalls the old one and installs itself? Analyse the log for the RemoveExisitingProducts action.
Answered 05/28/2009 by: India_Repackaging
Blue Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Hi Ranjit,

Yes, i have used the 3rd method (placing RemoveExistingProducts after InstallFinalize), but the result is the same. The upgrade is not happening properly. As i have mentioned, when i launch the application from start menu it actually does a repair, places the files and the application is launched.

I couldn't find any error logged in the log file.

Thanks.
Answered 06/01/2009 by: getIT
Orange Senior Belt

Please log in to comment
0
If you use the Upgrade table to perform the upgrade then check that the previous version(s) are found during FindRelatedProducts (standard) action execution, see if the property defined in the ActionProperty column is populated with the correct ProductCode of the previous version(s).
Answered 06/01/2009 by: AngelD
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
0
when doing the RemoveExistingProduct action late in the sequence you need to ensure both packages have been through a CMDB process.

with wise you need to run upgrade sync / cmdb

with IS i have nfi
Answered 06/03/2009 by: jmcfadyen
Fifth Degree Black Belt

Please log in to comment
0
LOL
First time I've seen the NFI abbreviation :)
Answered 06/03/2009 by: AngelD
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity