When I try to provision kbox agent to a pc with winows 7 professional(x64) it keeps hanging on client sync. The message waiting does not go away.
The firewall of windows is disabled to exclude all problems related to the firewall.

I hope someone can help me with this.

Here's the log:

[11/27/09 09:21:53 AM] Begin provisioning...
[11/27/09 09:21:53 AM] Executing Windows platform provisioning.
[11/27/09 09:21:53 AM] Probing tcp ports for accessibility.
[11/27/09 09:21:53 AM] Port 139 [netbios-ssn] open.
[11/27/09 09:21:53 AM] Port 445 [microsoft-ds] open.


[11/27/09 09:22:15 AM] Executing remote communications:

Initializing RPC
Connecting to ADMIN$
Copying service file
Disconnecting ADMIN$
Connecting to IPC$


Creating service
Opening pipe to service
IN: pipe_open(\pipe\KBRemoteService, 2)
Sending commands
Commands: //*servername*/client/agent_provisioning/windows_platform/agent_provision.bat *servername* client *servername* 0 0 1
Sending login credentials
Login: WORKGROUP\Administrator
[MSGCODE: 000] Begin agent_provision.bat processing.
[MSGCODE: 064] Detected 64-bit platform
[MSGCODE: 011] .NET 1.1 is installed
[MSGCODE: 015] Executing KInstallerSetupSilent.msi
Return code (MSI_ERROR_LEVEL) from MSI execution: [0]
MSI Info: [ERROR_SUCCESS] The action completed successfully.
[MSGCODE: 001] KBOX Agent is installed.
.[MSGCODE: 091] AMP is connected.
[MSGCODE: 093] KUID file detected.
[MSGCODE: 094] kuid: 75B15E6A-1E15-479D-A0A9-470AB208F62D
[MSGCODE: 100] agent_provision.bat exiting.
exit code: 0ERROR: smb_raw_read_recv - NT_STATUS_PIPE_DISCONNECTED
Removing service
OpenService - NT_STATUS_OK
StopService - NT_STATUS_OK
DeleteService - NT_STATUS_OK
CloseServiceHandle - NT_STATUS_OK
Connecting to ADMIN$
Deleting service file
Disconnecting ADMIN$


End of remote communications.

[11/27/09 09:22:15 AM] End provisioning run.


1 Comment   [ + ] Show Comment


  • Has this ever been resolved??? Any new updates on this?
Please log in to comment

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.


This is usually due to a dns problem. Make sure that the KBOX's name, shown as *servername* above, can be resolved from that windows 7 machine.
Answered 11/27/2009 by: jkatkace
Purple Belt

Please log in to comment
I think its more of a permission error and this is a known issue with Windows 7. Manual install works from agent_provisioning.

Answered 11/27/2009 by: RichB
Third Degree Green Belt

Please log in to comment
I doubt about the permission error, because I use the hidden administrator account and should be able to get acces to anything.
I will check for the dns. Could it be related to this error? smb_raw_read_recv - NT_STATUS_PIPE_DISCONNECTED
Answered 11/27/2009 by: joost
Senior Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
I think what jkatkace means is that the agent cannot connect back to the server because of a bad servername. AMP is connected and the agent is installed. Compare the host values in smmp.conf and config.xml -- are they the same?

If you are trying to re-provision this machine then do a prov'n that removes the agent and removes the config.xml (it's a checkbox) file and then do a standard prov'n
Answered 11/27/2009 by: GillySpy
Seventh Degree Black Belt

Please log in to comment

DNS is not the problem as far as I know. Also the hosts in the config files are the same.
I think windows 7 is still blocking some connections or something. I do know the required ports are open because I have tested that with the IP-scan option.
However it doesn't get a mac adress or host name. So something must be wrong. I did test now on 2 different pc's, 1 with snmp settings and 1 without. Both don't work although I get a lot more info from an IP-scan with snmp on, but still no mac or DNS name(must check dns more I guess), but when I check more info, at the connection types I do see the mac adress.

[EDIT]Problem solved. I updated the client agent with a newer version.
We had a version that should be compatible with Windows 7, but probably not good enough.

Thanks for the help
Answered 11/30/2009 by: joost
Senior Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
Have you checked the remote registry service? We had to make sure that was running for our Anti-Virus solution, which uses a similar provisioning process.
Answered 11/30/2009 by: cblake
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
Check smmp.conf to ensure ssl=false, if Agent Messaging Protocol Settings has Enable SSL for AMP disabled. If smmp.conf has ssl=true, change it to false then restart the AMP service.
Answered 11/30/2009 by: skiddle
Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment

A little thread hijack here: Ive noticed this behavior with the latest agent. Whenever we provision or even simply install the agent on a new machine the ssl=true flag is set in SMMP.conf even though we are NOT using SSL for amp. Any ideas why this is happening? Should i just cave in and enable SSL on amp?

Answered 11/30/2009 by: bf_rob
Senior Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
Well, I opted not to enable SSL on AMP. The Kace support bloke advised me this was a bug and would submit it for fixing. He also suggested I tweak agent_provision.bat to copy a properly configured SMMP.conf file to the target machine.
Answered 11/30/2009 by: skiddle
Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
I'll have to check this in my environment. We don't have SSL enabled for AMP, and I'm fairly certain we've successfully provisioned a few agents of the latest version without any issues with the clients connecting. Glad to hear KACE is aware of the bug.
Answered 11/30/2009 by: airwolf
Tenth Degree Black Belt

Please log in to comment
Good to know, thanks Skiddle.
Answered 12/01/2009 by: bf_rob
Senior Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity