Since upgrading to the 3.6 version of K2000 we have been having frequent issues with the task engine.

On the K2000 3.6 Server Task Engine it gets stuck "in progress" while PCs Task engine completes successfully.

It began with no mid task and only 1 Post install tasks that renamed the PC using WSname, install the KACE agent, and join the domain, but it would try to run the ne built-in Cleanup Task right after renaming the PC and then would never finish Cleanup even though everything was done.

Then I created 3 separate tasks to do the above and it would often get stuck right on the task right after the wsname task no matter what that task was (like reboot, Ksleep, etc), but the PC would complete successfully.

Sometimes it gets stuck on Setup engine run key on the "server Task engine", but on the PC it's task engine checks off each task successfully and it completes successfully. Of couse the server says the deployement never completed. It's as though the pC doesn't communicate it's task engine info back to the server sometimes or let it know it has completed that task.

There's nothing special about our setup really except our PCs all have SSD drives in them. Pretasks are: partition and format. No mid tasks altough I did finally add the DPinst-no reboot. Post install is just to rename the PC using WSname, install the KACE agent, and join the domain (vbs).

I've also noticed with version 3.6 that it takes about twice as long, about 16-20 minutes to deploy an image now compared to before.

Is anyone else having these experiences or does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

2 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments

Comments

  • I have not had any major problems with the images deploying, just had to modify the answer file for more reboots and change my mid level wim deploy from a bat script to an application script.

    What is your wsname script setup? are you rebooting after that task?
  • Hi,
    All our tasks are Application tasks.
    Well, I've tried it 3 separate ways. I'll list 2.
    wsname.exe /RDF:ComputerNames.dat /DFK:$MAC with the associated prestaged dat and wsname in zip file and reboot checked.
    And calling a bat file within the zip file that contains:
    wsname.exe /RDF:ComputerNames.dat /DFK:$MAC
    shutdown -r -t 5
    Both tasks rename the PC without any issues, but The server task engine goes right to the next task before it even shuts down for the reboot and lists the next task as "in progress". And it doesn't matter what the next task is (reboot, Ksleep, install agent...). Usually, that's how the server task engine will remain forever. On the PC though the task engine goes through each task one at a time and checks it off successfully and completely finishes successfully. Everything is done properly, it's just not reported to the server task engine.

    Sometimes it gets stuck on Setup engine run key on the "server Task engine", but on the PC it's task engine checks off each task successfully and it completes successfully. Of couse the server says the deployement never completed. It's as though the pC doesn't communicate it's task engine info back to the server sometimes or let it know it has completed that task.

    Had no problems with previous versions of K2000.and sometimes it will actually complete the server task engine successfully, but not often and nothing has been changed.

    Thanks
Please log in to comment

There are no answers at this time

Answers

Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity