I created an .mst file using install tailor and deployed it via GPO in windows 2003 . It got installed and had few (5?) extra properties in the mst. Two of them were

SERVER_NAME_OR_IP = ISA2004
and
ENABLE_AUTO_DETECT=0

But even the normal users were able to change the settings so I made both of them as "Add to the list of restricted public properties"

Did not help at all.

And now I am having a problem even deploying the later .mst files for the same. The errors I get is

Failed to apply changes to software installation settings. Software changes could not be applied. A previous log entry with details should exist. The error was : Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid.

The files are readable over the LAN using everyone account.

Trying it manually by msiexec.exe /i MS_FWC.msi TRANSFORMS=isaclient2k4c.mst gives

error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid

Installing .msi itself works both by GPO and manually and the client sits with a red dot but the settings can be configured. I want the settings to be fixed by admin and not by users. What should be done to find the exact error?
0 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments

Comments

Please log in to comment

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

Answers

0
Aren't the actual settings which the user is changing controlled by the app? I guess they were, since the users won't be able to magically change the contents of properties in the transform. Locate where the application's settings are held and apply appropriate permissions to restrict access.
Answered 06/04/2009 by: VBScab
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Client permissions can be restricted against change by this using Hash and Path rule.

http://www.ergon.qc.ca/tech/ISAFWCREST.htm

And it seems that there is a case for leaving them alone (for Laptop users taking work home).

Now I want to debug my mst. I think I will try ORCA now and post new results
Answered 06/04/2009 by: dvdzonenz
Purple Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Since this is a Group Policy change, have you forced a GP update? If not, the changes won't be applied until GPUPDATE has been run, or the user has logged off/back on (if applied at the user level) or the workstation has been restarted (if applied at the machine level).
Answered 06/04/2009 by: VBScab
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
0
I just reboot the machines. This is a VMware lab

I also got these errors on SR1 (DC) and XPtest (Client)

Software Installation encountered an unexpected error while reading from the MSI file \\sr1\shared\isa2004\MS_FWC.msi. The error was not serious enough to justify halting the operation. The following error was encountered: The operation completed successfully.


Software Installation was unable to generate the script for \\sr1\shared\isa2004to6\MS_FWC.MSI. The following error was encountered: Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install.

Not sure why it happened because I did not click on anything and there is no policy in force which was applying to the server. Also I got the error when I was creating the GPO for installation.

After creating this I got this on client

The install of application Microsoft Firewall Client from policy gpoisa2k6 failed. The error was : Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid.

Maybe my AD is damaged. I will create one soon and let you know the result
Answered 06/04/2009 by: dvdzonenz
Purple Belt

Please log in to comment
0
I've seen GP imports fail to create the package's advertising script (the .AAS file which gets dropped into the package's folder on SysVol) twice before. On both occasions, changing the WordCountSummary property to '4' fixed it. I have no clue why, nor where I gleaned that information from
Answered 06/04/2009 by: VBScab
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Applying the same MSI + GPO via commandline got it installed in the Host Windows (XP Sp3).

Also worked in another guest machine with SP3.

Updating the sp2 guest to SP3 cured all!

BTW my first client was from ISA 2004 CD and downloading a new one did not help much too but SP3 worked.
Answered 06/04/2009 by: dvdzonenz
Purple Belt

Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity