Title sums it up for the most part. I was able to push out previous versions of reader just fine, but this one seems to be stuck in the downloading phase when I inspect the targeted machines on the Inventory tab. I pushed the patch out about two weeks ago, and I have had two machines that were scheduled for the patch on almost the whole time since I set the schedule and they are still stuck downloading while they are on an outdated version. Anyone else having these problems, or am I the lucky one? 
Answer Summary:
3 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments


  • Did you get the Reader patch itself OK? If not, have you applied the third-party patch fix for K1000?
  • No I haven't I was actually looking into trying to rebuild the msi, but I haven't even heard of this third-party patch? What does it do?
    • Messing with Adobe's MSIs is right up there in the pantheon of Really Bad Ideas.

      - Does it install stand-alone? Your trusty sacrifical VM will come in handy here.
      - What does a verbose log tell you?
      • Thanks for the advice about repackaging reader. I don't want to add a bad idea on top of a current problem lol! I can do standalone installs on the VM. What log should I be looking for I don't seem to see any attached to the managed installs like I can with the scripts at least on the k1000 side of things. I can pull Windows logs if that was what you are referring to?
      • The only reason I really went into the idea of tampering with the MSI was to prevent users from getting update notifications and to remove previous versions.
      • Ah verbose logging set on the msi command? I just ran across the flag I need to set to do that.
    • Check the link
      • Thank you! I think this has solved my problems. I was really confused on why all my patches worked before the back end update, and why only half of them worked after the update! I am going to get this hot fix pushed out and let you guys know what happened!
  • >tampering with the MSI
    Use a transform.
    • This is the command I was trying to use
      msiexec.exe /q /n /i AcroRead.msi TRANSFORMS="AcroRead.mst" I think I was using the transform correctly, but I am fairly new to the field. My patches were all working before I updated my appliance, and that syntax had been working for me previously. By the way I love your profile icon!
Please log in to comment


This is what your deployment task should look like.  Here is a sample command line.  
msiexec.exe /i AcroRead.msi /qn TRANSFORMS=yourtransformname.mst


If you are using Patch Management to deploy updates.  Make sure you apply this update.
Answered 11/06/2014 by: Ty
Senior White Belt

Please log in to comment
I use the EXE rather than the msi. Do you know if the installer you are using is a stub installer that relies on the network to download the bulk of the installer (Adobe does that, as do some other vendors).

Adobe maintains an FTP portal that contains the trimmed installers for Reader. 


Navigate to the version you want (11.0.09 is an EXE)

Then you can use the additional parameters of:


Answered 11/12/2014 by: MacDude
Fourth Degree Brown Belt

  • Very nice to know about the ftp site for files. I am not too sure about the installer I was using, but after I applied that hot fix the problem cleared up. I do like the additional parameters you have provided! I can see those being useful for future updates from adobe.
Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity