I don't know if this should be in the K2000 forum or here.

Basically we're using a scripted install of the Windows XP SP3 disk straight from MS.
Everything is working perfectly however it has IE6 by default.

What's the best way to get IE8 onto the deployment during install?

So far I've tried...
- Post Installation Task on the K2000. This works, however this has a error message when the user logs in.
- Patching via the K1000. Works, but unless I'm missing something, it isn't instant. Needs to wait for the patch cycle to hit.
- Slipstreaming IE8 into the media via RyanVM/nLite and capturing a new installation source.

Coupled with this, I also push out .net 1 to 4 via K2000 post installation task. These work slowly, however they take AGES! How is everyone else doing this for Scripted installs?

What we're trying to do is make it so that when a machine is rebuilt and the KACE Agent picks it up and installs everything assigned to the breadcrumbs assigned to it during the first checkin.

For the most part, this is currently working perfectly using Managed Installs and Breadcrumbs. Even though I could use patching, I push out Java and Flash as Managed Installations as the control to Execute Anytime is ideal for what I'm trying to do.

It's just the last few bits like Internet Explorer and .NET that are casuing headaches.
0 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments


Please log in to comment

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.


You could accomplish this with patching.

Maybe create a smart label that checks for IE6.

Have this label as a target for a patch schedule that upgrades to IE8.

Set the schedule to run really aggressively (every couple hours).

As long as there's no "new" machines it just goes to sleep.

Not completely instant but it should work.
Answered 06/01/2011 by: dchristian
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
We do this though patching. For new machines coming in we have a label created called 'PC Setup' that is a smart label in Active Directory. We put a 15 minute patching cycle with the update re-boot option. The machines get hammered until they're done and once we've deployed we move the machine to the proper OU and the label is updated automatically.
Answered 06/01/2011 by: craig.thatcher
Orange Belt

Please log in to comment
Sweet, I'll have a play around with the patching. Thanks.
Answered 06/02/2011 by: Arcolite
Senior Purple Belt

Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity