Hi Guys,

I’m after some advice. I have a vendor msi (sylvan 6.1) and have also created a mst which points to a server excepts the license nothing really out of the ordinary.
My problem is when running the msi either through a command line or directly through the msi itself, it fails but on other occasions, it is successful. There is no clear reason for this that I can see, I thought it might be to do with the mst but when removing the mst it still has the intermittent problem.
Now when running through the setup.exe to install the client everything works fine, has anyone else experienced anything like this before?

Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Luke
0 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments

Comments

Please log in to comment

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

Answers

0
what does the log tell you? make sure it's verbose /l *vx
Answered 05/11/2011 by: timmsie
Fourth Degree Brown Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Presumably you mean you get different results when running the install on different machines, rather than inconsistent results on the same machine?

As Richard says, a comparison of the log taken of both installs should show you what's happening.
Answered 05/11/2011 by: VBScab
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Thanks guys for your quick reply’s.

I have looked at the log and the only thing i can see is the following line:

Property(C): ISSCRIPT_VERSION_MISSING = The InstallScript engine is missing from this machine. If available, please run ISScript.msi, or contact your support personnel for further assistance.
Property(C): ISSCRIPT_VERSION_OLD = The InstallScript engine on this machine is older than the version required to run this setup. If available, please install the latest version of ISScript.msi, or contact your support personnel for further assistance.

This is not true as I have ran the vendor supplied ISScript8.msi. I cant see anything else in the log that would suggest it to fail installing. It's happening on multiple machines and intermittent on my machine as well, even when I go back to my clean image. Very hard to track down where the problem lies. Could even be the vendor msi that is broken but then the setup.exe wouldn’t work.


Answered 05/11/2011 by: LukeHarte0103
Senior Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
0
I missed the fact that you said the exe works in your first post.

Are you sure the script engine the exe installs is the same as the one your putting down as a prerequisite?
Answered 05/11/2011 by: timmsie
Fourth Degree Brown Belt

Please log in to comment
0
I've ran the setup.exe again and now it fails its like once you've tried the msi and its failed it stores a setting so you can't install the exe.
The install itself shouldn't need any prerequisites its only when your using the software itself that you then need the prereqs. I'll battle on with it and see how i get on, going to be a nice interesting one this I think
Answered 05/11/2011 by: LukeHarte0103
Senior Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
0
there is a well documented issue about DCOM and ISSCRIPT issues. I think its the in KB somewhere.

basically DCOM is remotely accessible COM. If you attempt to access it from remote machines often the perms are incorrectly set and require a little tweak. So if your seeing this fail from remote installs then this is likely your issue.

if this is local only install then may not be your issue.
Answered 05/12/2011 by: jmcfadyen
Fifth Degree Black Belt

Please log in to comment
0
John, doesn't that issue produce a different error? "Cannot find InstallDriver in ROT table"?
Answered 05/13/2011 by: VBScab
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
0
ORIGINAL: LukeHarte0103

Thanks guys for your quick reply’s.

I have looked at the log and the only thing i can see is the following line:

Property(C): ISSCRIPT_VERSION_MISSING = The InstallScript engine is missing from this machine.  If available, please run ISScript.msi, or contact your support personnel for further assistance.
Property(C): ISSCRIPT_VERSION_OLD = The InstallScript engine on this machine is older than the version required to run this setup.  If available, please install the latest version of ISScript.msi, or contact your support personnel for further assistance.

This is not true as I have ran the vendor supplied ISScript8.msi. I cant see anything else in the log that would suggest it to fail installing. It's happening on multiple machines and intermittent on my machine as well, even when I go back to my clean image. Very hard to track down where the problem lies. Could even be the vendor msi that is broken but then the setup.exe wouldn’t work.
 

 



The ISSCRIPT_VERSION_MISSING and ISSCRIPT_VERSION_OLD are properties which are normally preset to the strings shown in your log extract. They are not in themselves indicative of a problem relating to ISSCRIPT because I would expect these to be listed with their preset values in any verbose log of an installation which uses ISSCRIPT custom actions.

IMHO, the problem lies elsewhere.

Regards,

Spartacus
Answered 05/13/2011 by: spartacus
Black Belt

Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity