Hi all,

QA told me late Friday that it appears a component has broken since our last distribution. The file is C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.2.dll. I checked the component codes in the previous release and the current release and there was no change there. Its the same file, version, etc. The behavior was seen following the Major Upgrade.

RemoveExistingProducts occurs immediately following InstallValidate.

I will have them check to see that the file is in place prior to initiating our application during the next test(s), but I was just wondering what else I might be able to look at to track this down.

I remember this happened to me way back in the day for a common third party .dll and we could never figure out what happened. We just had to settle for the self repair following that distribution.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks much in advance!!
0 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments


Please log in to comment

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.


This is just a stab in the dark, but maybe worth a look..

I've seen this "disappearing file" issue in cases where an uninstall of an application was done while the files in question were locked by the OS. The combination of a new version of the application installing the exact same file/component, and Windows doing housekeeping in the form of PendingFileRenameOperations entries in the registry, might cause these locked files to be deleted after a reboot.

Since your RemoveExistingProducts action is scheduled after InstallValidate, basically a full uninstall of the old version is done before your application starts installing, so this could be an issue..
Have to say though I mostly recall this issue happening when we did an uninstall of older versions OUTSIDE the MSI, using MSIEXEC /X commands. Don't really recall this in a case where the uninstall was triggered by the msi itself.

Hope this helps,

Answered 06/13/2010 by: pjgeutjens
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
I wrote an article about this last week, perhaps it will help you:

If it doesn't, try creating an upgrade log and search for messages of this form:
skipping installation of assembly component: {ID}
This way you can determine why the component isn't installed.
Answered 06/13/2010 by: john.pirvu
Senior Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
Currently in the process of trying to repeat the problem on demand. I will then log, check, and post results. Fingers Crossed :D
Answered 06/15/2010 by: Superfreak3
Black Belt

Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity