Hi All,
I have combined two manifest.json files together using this page and it validates fine using JSON Editor Online and some other online validators.  The problem I have is when I am trying to import the package into Chrome Developer Mode.  I click the link to load an unpacked extension.  I then receive the message "required value name is missing or invalid"
I will include the json file here for people to read

  "name": [
    "Print this page"
  "version": [
  "manifest_version": [
  "minimum_chrome_version": "",
  "permissions": [
      "fileSystem": [
  "app": {
    "background": {
      "scripts": [
  "default_locale": "en",
  "icons": {
    "128": "img/128.png"
  "description": "Adds a print button to the browser.",
  "background": {
    "scripts": [
  "browser_action": {
    "default_title": "Print this page",
    "default_icon": "print_16x16.png"

The reason behind this merge, I have to build a kiosk chrome (I am using Chrome App Builder) for a particular website.  It needs to have either IE or Chrome and has to use Java 1.6.23.  Because of the old java requirement, I have to use Chrome 41 or less, (I am using chrome 39) it is going to be Thinapp'd.  The problem with Kiosk, it has no print function.  The above should (fingers crossed) include a print button in the limited app.
All the files are in the scripted locations.
I have been pushing through this print issue most of the day. 
Any help is a big thanks.
Answer Summary:
0 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments


Please log in to comment

Answer Chosen by the Author

I have tried to merge the two files together, but as soon as you place two responses under one title, the second then becomes the response for the input.  From what I have discovered, there is no way of combining the two files to make one, or giving a print button in Chrome kiosk.
Answered 08/04/2015 by: Tempril
Orange Senior Belt

Please log in to comment


As there are no takers on this question I thought I might offer some 'general' comments :)

Do the two JSON manifests function independantly and correctly before the merge?

Does it work on the very latest version of Chrome?
I'm thinking there might not be the functionality in Chrome 39 to set this correctly. Maybe try Chrome 41, if that's the latest version you can go to.

If still no joy, can you break it down and add parts of the manifest and test, until you reach a point where you get the error again? It may help to identify where the issue may be occurring

You've probably done all of this already, but it's sometimes good for someone outside of it all to give a different perspective.

Answered 07/30/2015 by: dunnpy
Red Belt

  • Hi Dunnpy,
    I have tried the two manifest files separately they both work.
    I have not tried to run the manifest on 41.
    I had thought the manifest would have to work as a complete module, two names, two versions etc... but I could start with each section and work down the list in pairs.
    Thanks for the eyes, I will try your suggestions in the morning. Just have to find an archive somewhere to D/L 41.
    Also, I didn't mention in my original post, I was using Chrome 64bit enterprise.
Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity
Admin Script Editor
Admin Script Editor is an integrated scripting environment available free here at ITNinja