Asset import on the K1000 v6
I've had a support ticket in with KACE for a week now and not heard anything (I guess they're busy following the v6.0 upgrade).
Previously, I could *update* our computer assets en-masse by importing a CSV file, mapping columns in the CSV to fields in the asset records, choosing a primary key and hitting 'go' and this worked very well. The CSV had 3 or 4 columns that I mapped to fields in the asset records; not all fields in the asset records were updated, just some. The ones that weren't updated weren't mapped to anything and remained unchaged after the import.
However, since the v6 upgrade if I do exactly the same thing, the fields that should remain 'unchanged' (i.e. the ones that are not mapped to anything during the asset import) are now cleared (deleted) rather than unchanged!
I discovered this after doing my regular weekly import to update computer assets - 1800 machines had several fields 'wiped' as a result of the asset import! I had to restore a database backup to get all this data back.
I gingerly tried repeating the exercise, thinking I had done something wrong, though this time on 1 computer asset rather than 1800, and the behaviour was repeated - the fields that I'd mapped in the import were updated, and the rest of the fields were effectively deleted!
Has anyone else observed this behaviour, or am I doing something stupid? I'm guessing if it were the latter, KACE support would have got back to me by now to tell me!
I use this import method to update the computer assets with data from the inventory (via a scheduled report) on a weekly basis, so as you can imagine, my computer assets are becoming increasingly out of date until I find a way around this.
Community Chosen Answer
I noticed the same thing, it updates all fields even if you did not map them to anything. As a work around, you could export all the assets, modify the csv, and reimport everything.
Another fun issue with importing assets is when you have fields that are associated with other assets and your import doesn't have a value set for that field. It will create new assets with no name and link to them. If the next record also has no value set, it doesnt use the new blank one it created, it creates another new blank one. I discovered this the hard way and had to delete 150,000+ blank assets 1000 at a time.