17-July-2014 – While Microsoft continues to develop a fix through Windows Update to address this issue, Flexera Software has created an interim solution. This patch resolves the crashes caused by KB2962872 (MS14-037) for all affected versions of InstallShield and InstallShield for AdminStudio.
11-July-2014 – On 8-July-2014, Microsoft released KB2962872 (MS14-037), a security update for Internet Explorer versions 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11.
Please be advised that applying Microsoft security update KB2962872 (MS14-037) may cause the InstallShield or InstallShield for AdminStudio application to crash upon launch.
NOTE: The issue affects only InstallShield development tools and does not affect InstallShield Standalone Build or any installers built with InstallShield.
- InstallShield 2008 through 2014
- InstallShield for AdminStudio Edition 8.6 through v.12 (2013)
Products Not Affected
- InstallShield versions prior to InstallShield 2008
- InstallShield Limited Edition for Visual Studio
Get the InstallShield Patch (IOJ-1662902)
The InstallShield patch can be obtained through two different methods and resolves the InstallShield crash issues caused by Windows Update KB2962872 (MS14-037). This patch works for all affected versions of InstallShield and InstallShield for AdminStudio. This patch will disable the ability to build projects using InstallShield’s Trialware features: Try and Die, and Try and Buy.
- Installable Patch:
- Download and Run InstallShieldIOJ1662902Update.exe
- This patch can be uninstalled to restore the InstallShield Trialware capabilities.
- Uninstall of the patch is not advised until after Microsoft releases a Windows Update fix. We will update this page at that time.
- Manual Installation files:
- Download IOJ-1662902.zip
- Make a backup of
- Extract IOJ-1662902.zip to
Check This Page for Status Updates
We will continue to update this webpage as needed with any new information surrounding this issue. We urge you to check this webpage frequently for the latest information.