While it is not the Windows Installer focused book I was planning to write with Nelson and Danielle, we did finally publish a book together: Deploying and Administering Windows Vista Bible. Its contents align with what most of us who spend time at AppDeploy do day to day:
The first eight chapters (by myself) cover planning the deployment, creating basic Windows images, managing licensing and activation, working with Windows Installer, migrating user data, managing windows images, using MDT 2008, and using Windows Deployment services. The remaining chapters (by Nelson and Danielle) cover managing change in Vista, administering workstations, securing the workstation, protecting user data and recovering damaged systems and lost data.
This book started over a year ago so it is nice to report it is finally available: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470180218
From the back cover...
Safely deploy Windows Vista across your enterprise
If you're responsible for deploying Windows Vista across an enterprise, this is the book you need to succeed. Packed with over 500 pages of best practices, sound techniques, and in-depth guidance, it's a must-read whether you're coming to Vista cold or are migrating from an older Windows operating system. Configure a secure network for your business, handle troubleshooting, and avoid pitfalls with this valuable resource from a top-notch team of Windows systems veterans.
- Plan for effective deployment with the right strategies
- Understand licensing and activation and how it affects your deployment
- Use the System Preparation tool and ImageX to create custom images
- Migrate user data, set up boot images, and build desktop solutions
- Implement Group Policies and administer workstations remotely
- Protect your data and systems with the most effective security