Have you forgotten the password of Outlook PST file and cheesed off from the situation. Even, a few attempts not helping you to retrieve particulars of PST data file. Virtually, the password, which you have allotted on PST file to make it secure is now impeding you and popping-out constraints in accessing Outlook Data.
This tutorial will elaborate about the various facets of encryption over PST file. So, let’s get started.
First, I want to tell you how to lock an Outlook Data File. The following steps are given below to know the procedure to create password in PST File:
Step-1: Apply steps according to your MS Outlook version:
In Outlook 2010, Click on “File” Tab >> “Account Settings” >> “Account Settings”
Step-2: A new window will appear named as “Account Settings”. Click on “Data File” Tab >> Select the path which show .pst extension >> Click on “Settings”.
Step-3: After clicking on “Settings”, a new window will pop up from where you can change the password. To do so, click on “Change Password”.
Step-4: Set your desired password and click on “OK” button.
By applying above given steps, you can protect your Outlook PST File and enhance the privacy of your Outlook data.
Outlook PST File Password is Incorrect:
Empowering Outlook Database by allotting an encryption on PST file makes it more secure and private but, what if a user forget the password which he/she assigned last time on Outlook Data File. Forgetting PST password leads to awful errors and does not allow user to get in the Outlook. In such situation, when you entered your Outlook password it shows a message that “the password you have typed is incorrect. Retype the Password.” In such a case, you need to move on any third party tool, which is capable to unlock password protected Outlook PST File. After entering wrong password, a pop up box will appear like this:
How to Unlock Outlook PST File with the Help of Free Tool?
No need to worry about locked PST File because you can easily remove Password from encrypted Outlook PST File. There is a way to remove the password from the Outlook Data File.
1. Unlock Outlook PST Password For Free (pst19upg.exe): As we all know that every user wants look for a workout to recover Outlook PST File without paying to third party source. Microsoft free utility called “pst19upg.exe” is a tool, which removes the password from locked Outlook Data File. For the convenient , here I am also giving a link to download this free tool: http://www.computerhope.com/download/updates.htm
How it works?
- Close MS Outlook.
- Search the Location of "scanpst.exe" in your PC.
Location in MS Outlook 2002 & XP:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MAPI\<locale ID>\
Location in MS Outlook 2000:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MAPI\<locale ID>\NT\
Location in MS Outlook 97 or 98:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Windows Messaging\
- Run scanpst.exe and click on repair. Keep backup your Outlook PST File, before applying repair process.
- Click on "Start" button >> "Run" OR Press “Window Key” + “R”.
- Type CMD and press enter button.
- Copy the path of Your PST File into command prompt.
- This will create a copy of PST called “youfilename.psx”(same name as your original PST File).
- When you have completed this process, rename the original PST File as old PST File.
- At the command prompt, type “pst19upg.exe-newfilename.psx” and press enter.
- This will create a Password free Outlook PST File from the PST file.
- Run "Scanpst.exe" and repair the newly created file.
- Open MS Outlook and check Outlook Data File.
Drawbacks of “pst19upg.exe”:
This tool will work only on MS Outlook 2003 and earlier versions. It will not work on MS Outlook 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2016. It means that, this utility is capable to remove the password from older ANSI PST File not from UNICODE format PST.
If your locked Outlook Data File is UNICODE type, then in such a case, you need to move on any third party software because there is no any free utility provided by Microsoft, which can works on UNICODE PST format in order to remove its encryption.